Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 1

I'm going to TRY to blog every day for the next 40 days as I read through Rick Warren's "A Purpose Driven Life." I read this book a couple of years ago and thought to myself that yeah, this was a decent read. I didn't really absorb it though. I didn't interact with it as I probably should have.

Recently I've been really questing to improve my personal relationship/time with God. It's been playing second fiddle...or third fiddle...or really, sitting backstage...a lot of the time and that's SO not what I want or what I'm about or what I want to be about.

Basically I'm trying to spend more time reading the Bible, and more time praying/talking to God. I have the ability to control a lot of my thinking, but I am realizing that there needs to be some major surrendering going on in terms of "contol"--oh how I love control. And oh how I'm not in control! :)

Anyway, Day 1's concept is that "it's not about ME" and that I was created by His purpose FOR His purpose. That puts a whole different slant on today's thinking of what do *I* want, where am *I* supposed to be, what am *I* supposed to do. God has created ME for HIS purpose. It's a baby step because inside the heart of me there's a little person wailing and screaming asking "what about me? what's the plan? what's the purpose? tell me now now now!! I MUST know now so I can decide if *I* agree!!" HAHA. Yeah, isn't that how we think? We want God to show us the plan so we can decide if it's good enough or if it's "right." That's about where I'm at on this journey and I want to be able to shut that little person up by trusting in God and that He is in control. Am I making sense?

This is the verse that really struck me in today's reading: "A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped life is a flourishing tree." (Prov 11:28).
That is what I want my life to be: God-shaped. Not self-centred Rachel-shaped.
And it is my hope & prayer that on this journey that is what I'll move towards. A woman with a God-shaped life who is still young at heart and completely dorky. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment