Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 2

Theme: You Are Not An Accident

Isaiah 46:3-4 really stuck out in this chapter
"I have carried you since you were born. I have taken care of you from your birth. Even when you are old, I will be the same. Even when your hair has turned gray, I will take care of you. I made you and will take care of you."

The promises of God taking care of me are incredibly reassuring! I always feel sorry for people who are alone or have no family around. Perhaps I empathize because I'm single and wouldn't mind every now and then having someone to lean on and just take care of me! I don't doubt God's care, but that tangible touch would also be nice!

I decided to keep reading through this section if Isaiah as part of my devotions and Isaiah 48:17b also jumped out at me.
"I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to do what is good, who teaches you in the way you should go."

As I hunt for a different job and really seek God's leading, I want to cling to this verse. I want to really trust in God's plan and path for my life. I want to be thankful for all the blessings I have and to not complain about the nagging little things that sometimes get in the way or make for "easy" conversation.

The question given at the end of this chapter is a bit of an "ouch": "I know that God uniquely created me. What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?"

Uhhhh I don't think I have enough space for this answer!!

In my notes, I wrote out a bit of a list of things that I ruminate over. Reading it over, it's not really so much to do with personality or anything, but more to do with my choices. Am I making good choices? How will I know if I make a 'right' choice? If God created me exactly the way I am can I use that as an excuse to be "lazy" and just say "God created me this way!" Ha!
Wouldn't it be convenient to use that as an excuse to cover all manner of indulgences and avoidances and 'flaws'?? :)
As soon as I thought of that, my mind jumped to Romans 12:1
"I urge you...in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship."

Ok ok, off to the gym I go! :/ ;)
It's ME that wants to lose 30 pounds. It's me that wants to be more comfortable in my own skin. So I'm going to have to work for it by changing my eating habits and exercising. Do I want to take this verse to the extreme and make my entire life about being a bodily sacrifice? No. I want to be healthy. I want to give honour to God by the choices I make and one aspect of that is through discipline in terms of food & exercise. And for me this is an area of concern because so much of my life has been focused on it in one way or another--usually as a negative. I find it very hard to view myself positively. I'm getting better, but it sure ain't easy!!
Offering my body also means challenging my mind, taking care of my emotions, and investing in my relationships. It's a life BALANCE. And through balance we honour God. We honour His creation. We respect who & what He created us to be.

So through all of that I am reassured that I am not an accident. I am here for God's purpose. And so are you. :) And I'm glad that you're not an accident either. After all, God don't make no junk!!

No comments:

Post a Comment