Saturday, August 8, 2009

Day 3

Theme: What Drives Your Life?

I read this last night after I got home from work. And quickly realized that this is one meaty chapter and that it's going to take me several days to go over & absorb a lot of the things that were said. So "Day 3" will continue for several days.

If I give a very fast answer to the question above, I would probably say something like "fear" or "money"--not fear in an afraid-of-life sense or money in a materialistic sense..but both having to do with paying bills, working enough, that sort of thing.

So I know right there that my focus is wrong. My focus & my priority, my drive, needs to BE God. Of course I have to pay my rent and my bills and be responsible by showing up at work on time etc etc...but that needn't be/shouldn't be a priority.

I am still totally stuck on the question "What am I supposed to BE when I grow up" I don't know why I can't shake this thought out of my head. I don't even have a dream career in mind! What I do want to do, though, is work in a college or university setting. Registrar's Office sort of thing. I prefer working more with or around students than I really do with adults. I like to help people, have answers to their questions, know information that's helpful, do detail-y type work but not super attentive-to-detail stuff.

Now I'm rambling. :)

But anyway. I feel this clenching in my chest whenever I think about a "career" or "what I'm supposed to do" So taking this time to really clarify that God has a purpose in my life is needed. I'm trying to give up the whole "must have a career" mental tape that I've got going on and just rest in God. When I feel that fist in my chest unclench, I'll let you know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment